Monday, June 9, 2008

Hula Hoop Hippie Chick



Some would say that attending my third Wakarusa Music Festival over the weekend would automatically classify me as a hippie chick. But there's alot about hippies I don't understand. How can someone consider themselves individualistic, bucking of convention, (Yahoo!Education) yet look like all of his/her other friends? Why are dreadlocks so popular? How can someone go that long without a shower? What's up with the Hula Hoop?

As I was watching a cool performance by State Radio, I was also audience to two really good hula hoopers. It was mesmerizing the way they worked the hoop to gyrate around the waist and up the body to their wrists held high above their heads and then back down to their legs. Throw in hops and turns and twists. There are no words to describe the physical and perpetual movement of the hula hoop...I can't think of any that do it justice. Later in the weekend, I saw the same girls hooping to the Reggae music of Jah Roots. Music makes all the difference, and Reggae hula hooping is like love-making.

I want a hula hoop.

True hippies love mud, and this Wakarusa, we had plenty of it. It stormed so heavily the first night of the festival that many of us abandoned our tents to mother nature and slept in our vehicles. The next morning, mangled tents everywhere required reconstruction before the morning shower (for the few of us that actually took showers). Despite the enormous tents over the music stages, the ground was saturated, and muddy feet and legs were unavoidable. Mud anywhere else on the human body was simply an accessory, an outward sign of the free spirit. I like to think of myself as free-spirited, but...

There's no mud love in my soul.

Apparently, though, hippies and I share a few passions. One would be a clean earth. I'm making a sweeping generalization, but recycling and proper placement of rubbish is important to hippies. One particular festival goer demonstrated this after he blotted out his cigarette in the dirt. Instead of leaving the butt on the ground like so many smokers, he placed it back in the pack in order to, I assume, throw it away properly. Hippies are also passionate about getting out the vote. I admire their concern for this aspect of the democratic process. I too often hear in this cynical world that who we vote for doesn't matter.

Hippies and I also share a love for much of the same music.

The Wakarusa line-up had some old favorites. My favorite headliner was Cake, who has the best sing-along music. The Flaming Lips and Ben Folds headlined as well. Of course, for me, Wakarusa wouldn't be the same without the Dewayn Brothers. In addition to these, I met some new bands (new to me anyway). At the top of my "explore further" list were Keller Williams, Backdoor Slam, Old 97s, State Radio, Brett Dennen, Mates of State, Limbeck, Steel Train and Leftover Salmon. My first download, as soon as I can find it on the net, is going to be "Doobie in My Pocket" by Keller Williams.

I don't do doobies, but that song is flipping hilarious!

So...am I a hippie chick? I'm still not sure. I guess I'll have to go again next year. Someone get me a hula hoop.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nanay said...

it,s to old it was in the 1940, something like that.

June 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

It was the 1970's, Mom. Your era. You probably hula hooped yourself.

June 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Thank you for posting this picture of my hulahooping daughter, Dakota. She will be pleased to see it. I was at Wakarusa too (year 4!).

Leah W

June 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hey, Jackie! Now, how did I not know about your blog?

Glad you enjoyed Wakarusa again - the lineup looked great.

August 18, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home